Burnham-Lunt Preservation

ARUNDEL

 

vAn Historic Agricultural Communityv

 

1719 – 1820……Arundel

1820 – 1915……Kennebunkport

1915 – 1957……North Kennebunkport

1957……Arundel

 

A Brief History

 

In the mid-1600’s, Arundel’s first settlers kept close to the coastline both for easy

access to the ocean and to escape from the local Native Americans.

The settlers finally abandoned the settlement in the late 1600’s and did not return

until around 1720 when relations with the Native Americans improved.

 

The new settlement, named Arundel, grew along the Kennebunk River.

After 1750 people began to settle west of what is now Route 1 and started farming

the rest of Arundel. Around 1800, as the religious climate changed, small churches

and meeting houses served to draw the local people together. Although

those small churches have disappeared, several of the early farms and a few

of the farmhouses still exist today.  

 

When Arundel’s secession from Kennebunkport became official in 1916,

it lost its direct connection with the coast and remained a rural town

composed primarily of farms.

 

                                                                                               

 

The Arundel Historical Society is launching a project to preserve two historic Arundel farmhouses and construct a building styled after the neighborhood North Chapel Church, which will provide a location for community groups to hold meetings and events.

 

We are seeking financial support to accomplish our goal. Please review the information in this proposal.

 

 

Read more information ...