History of the Farmhouses

 

 

The Burnham house was built by Nathaniel Currier and subsequently owned by his son, Edmund, and granddaughter, Marcia A. Currier. Marcia married Daniel McIntire and their daughter, Jennie, married Alfred E. Burnham. The house continued in the Burnham family through two more generations until being sold in 2001, thus having remained in the same family for more than 200 years.

 

From 1833 until 1870, Edmund Currier was the postmaster and the house served as Arundel’s post office as well as the family residence.

 

The Lunt house was built by Samuel Lunt, who married Elizabeth McIntire. Elizabeth was Daniel McIntire’s great-aunt, so the families residing in these two homes were related. The Lunt family farmed their land and occupied the home continuously until 2003 with the death of Dorothy Lunt Paquet. This home was also owned by one family for over 200 years.

 

The land and buildings across the Alfred   Road from the Lunt house were part of the original parcel. The barn built by Samuel Lunt burned, and its replacement was built on the south side of the road by John W. Lunt [circa 1830 – 1905], who was Samuel’s grandson. Also on the south side of the Alfred Road to the west of the barn is the blacksmith shop, which is noted on a map of the region from 1872 but probably pre-dates that. Another of Samuel’s grandsons, Samuel [born circa 1825], was apparently a blacksmith.

 

To the east of the barn, across Ramming Meadow Brook, is the Lunt cemetery in which Samuel and Elizabeth Lunt, as well as three of their children, are buried.

 

The connections in this area of town also include the house located between the Burnham and Lunt homes. This house was built circa 1820 and has been owned by half a dozen different families over time. From 1915 to 1944 it was owned by John B. and Ella Lunt, Samuel’s great-grandson and his wife.   John B. Lunt ran a brickyard on that site and Ella raised sheep and sold wool from the “garage”. Their daughter, Dorothy E. Lunt, was born and raised there and lived in that house until she moved “next door” to occupy the original Lunt home, where she lived for the rest of her life.

 

The last neighborhood connection remains only as a cellar hole. At one time, the Limerick Road continued north, crossing the Alfred   Road, to the Dennett Road. Approximately one-third of a mile north of the Alfred Road is the “McIntire place”, which burned circa 1935. Daniel McIntire is believed to have lived there* prior to marrying Marcia Currier.

 

*Specifics regarding the McIntire family are still being researched.

 

 

Project Plans

 

 

The Lunt farmhouse and the Burnham farmhouse and barn have been donated to the Arundel Historical Society, but all the buildings need to be reestablished on a new site. In both cases, the buildings cannot stay on their existing sites due to constraints created by planned changes in the use of their current locations. Considering their shared history, it is the intent of the AHS to keep the homesteads together on the same parcel of land.

 

Once relocated, both houses and the barn will be refurbished and restored. They will serve as headquarters for the AHS and a place to archive and display local historical photographs, documents, and artifacts. They will also provide a place for AHS members and others to do historical research. Opportunities for the public to participate in a variety of educational/informational events will be provided as part of our mission to draw the community together.

 

In addition, the AHS will pursue the construction of an additional building to serve as a place for larger public gatherings and as a meeting place for other community groups. We are planning a building modeled after the North Chapel Church, which formerly stood on the west side of the Limerick Road approximately 1000 feet south of the Alfred Road. This building was an integral part of this neighborhood.

 

This is obviously a large project and we envision it being accomplished in several phases. The first phase will be to relocate the houses and barn which will involve obtaining the land for the new site, providing foundations and utilities, preparing and moving the buildings, and securing them.

 

The second phase will include the construction of the new building to be used as a community focal point, providing an area for parking, and landscaping around all of the buildings.

 

Restoration of the Lunt and Burnham buildings will be the third phase and will be the most time consuming due to the detail involved in restoring them and designing ways to best utilize them for the historical society’s goals and needs.

 

The final phase will be an ongoing one involving maintenance of the buildings and land surrounding them as well as supporting AHS programs and events.

 

It is clear that there will be significant overlap of these various phases. In particular, portions of phases two and three are likely to occur simultaneously. Similarly, building/land maintenance and continuation of AHS events/programs will begin immediately after the houses are situated.  

 

 the budget ...